Thanks to Cori Kane for thinking of my little piece o’the world over here for the Newbie Nomination.
The idea of Newbie Nominations is simple – it gives newbies the push to search for blogs that will interest them and it helps to build a community of bloggers.
The rules are simple:
• Answer the questions set by the blogger that nominated you
• Nominate 5 new bloggers (fewer than 30 posts or less than 5 months blogging)
• Ask six new questions for your nominees to answer
• Choose a weekly feature that you can stick to for a month or a monthly fixture that you will stick to for 6 months
• Add your 5 bloggers to your feed and comment on their posts
1. What are you blogging about?
Writing (whining) about writing. I have my first novel in the works. I’m about 80% through the first draft now and I’m hoping to get it wrapped up this month. Naturally, I have other story ideas running through my head that won’t leave me alone.
2. What made you blog in the first place?
Accountability. The online writing community is a vast place full of folks ready to encourage, help out, or commiserate with other writers. I write ‘in the closet’ – in that only a couple of folks know that I’m working on a book – and I work better if under pressure. Being a part of the wonderful world of writers that blog, I feel like it keeps me in line and I’m far less likely to tuck away my unfinished works and never look at them again.
3. Who/What is the person/animal/thing that inspires you most?
Other creative works, whether it’s tv shows, books, or music. I tend to pull my inspiration from those things.
4. Share the recipe for your favorite cocktail, alternative (if you’re not a drinker): Share your recipe for a favorite snack.
This is where I look like a lush.
Apple Pie in a Jar
1 Gallon Apple Juice
1 Gallon Apple Cider
1.5 cups of suger (I mix half white, half brown sugar)
1 fifth of grain alcohol or Everclear
6 cinnamon sticks
Place the apple cider, apple juice, cinnamon sticks, and sugar into a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat, and discard the cinnamon sticks. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature, then stir in the grain alcohol. Pour into quart-size canning jars, seal with the lids and rings, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. Your favorite quote.
It’s a two-way tie for first place.
“You get what you put in and people get what they deserve.”
“Fear nothing and regret even less.”
6. Writing – blessing or curse?
Both both both! I love having a creative outlet but anyone that has ever attempted to write knows how much work goes into it. It’s a solitary experience and, while I have no problem being alone, it can be isolating to close yourself off from the rest of the world for long periods of time. People expect certain things from you. My brother passed away a few years and I wrote lengthy eulogy in honor of him and his life. I cried, friends and family cried. People I’d never met told me they were moved. I got notes from people saying that it was a beautiful piece of writing. I was touched and honored by their comments and glad that I achieved the goal of honoring him in that way. I’ve since been asked to write a few more eulogies for family members and while always an honor to be asked, it’s emotionally exhausting to do. It’s one thing to write something to honor someone, it’s another to try to put into words something that will help hold up a lost loved in just the right light while bringing healing to those closest to the departed. The pressure can be tough but it’s nowhere near what their dearest are going through so I’ll do my best every time.
• Maya Langston
• Aspirations of Flight
• Megan McDonnell
• Matt Dire
• Jason S. Jackson (Yes, this blog is only hours old but I saw that he’s from the Detroit area so it was an easy decision to follow. Welcome, sir!)
1. Self-publishing or traditional?
2. Name one slang word that should be banned from society and never ever allowed to be used again never ever?
3. Flip side: What is your favorite word?
4. What time of day is best for writing, when do you feel most creative?
5. Will you stick to one genre or write in more than one?
6. Secret guilty pleasure tv show?
MY WEEKLY/MONTHLY FEATURE – I’ll aim for a Reading/Watching/Listening post because I know you’re all so excited to know what I’m into each month, right?